Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'm Happy, But...

I saw on Yahoo! News yesterday that Celine Dion has given birth to twin boys. The Canadian singer announced her pregnancy earlier this year and has now blessed her husband Rene with two more sons and her son Rene-Charles with two brothers. I'm happy for Ms. Dion and her family, really I am, but I can't help feeling that something's a bit amiss here.

Celine Dion under went six in-vitro fertilization attempts to get pregnant again after having her first child, and I think that's what's bothering me. After already having their own biological child why didn't Celine Dion and her husband simply adopt if they wanted more children? If Celine Dion just wanted to experience pregnancy again she could've adopted embryos--yes, you can do that--and had the unique joy of carrying and giving birth to her adopted child(ren). I know I really don't have the right to second guess anyone's private decisions, but with so many children in this world needing loving homes it just irks me that so many people remain obsessed with having biological kids even after they've already had one.

I remember feeling the same way when the famous McCaughey septuplets were born in 1997. These children were the results of fertility treatments, which would've been understandable if Bobbie McCaughey, their mother, were trying to get pregnant for the first time. But Bobbie and husband Kenny already had a biological daughter, Mikayla. So why, I remember asking myself at the time, didn't they adopt if they wanted more children? Especially since the McCaugheys implied they were devout Christians. I didn't understand then and I don't understand now.

I sympathize with infertile couples. I can understand couples who've never had a baby getting fertility treatments. I can understand them wanting to have the experience of bringing their own child into the world. But once an infertile couple has had their own baby they should consider adoption if they want more children. At the very least, fertility clinics and doctors should give preference to couples who've never had their own child (if they don't do that already).

I'll reiterate what I said at the beginning. I'm happy for Celine Dion and her family. I know that her twins will be well taken care of and well loved. It's just sad that two little babies won't be coming out of an orphanage or a frozen embryo container because Ms. Dion and her husband were more devoted to genetics than parenting. And far too many other people feel the same way. I really, really hope that changes. Parenting is about love not biology. I pray more people realize that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you here. There are so many children who are either abandoned or need someone to adopt them, that it is sad when someone doesn't go that route when they go after children. These are good kids too. And they would love you as much as your own, if you treat them good. I would be bothered too if I had heard of this.

Nathan C said...

While there are lots of children to adopt in this world, I think one important fact remains: It's often easier to love something that you create than something you adopt.

I appreciate my family's cooking more than going out to dinner.

But there's another interesting fact about Canada you probably don't know: It has an aging population and is nearing negative growth. Most of out ppulation growth actually comes from immigration (as does the United States, if I remember right).

Plus, there's a stigma about celbrities adopting no thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Jolie (hardy har har) because the media treats it like they're creating a biological trophy wall. Unfortunately, being who she is, politics could very well play an important role in her decision. Not saying she's Elton John, but a little is enough.

WomanHonorThyself said...

hope alls well hun ..Not sure which one of your blogs to check in with! hope ya had a nice weekend~!..almost Monday..yikes..lol